Delayed too much…
So, this was to be the first of my weekly posts, and was supposed to go live last Tuesday. I’ve gotten very distracted lately. Part of that is job hunting. You’d think with all the online capabilities our society has that online job hunting would be easier, but it’s not. There’s lots of re-entering the same information again and again and again. Even with cutting and pasting, it’s extremely time consuming, provided you can separate the wheat from the chaff in the first place. So I lose time to job hunting. I live with my elderly mother, and she’s had health issues for the past few weeks, and taking care of her also cuts into my time. And there are a million other things that distract me from posting here.
On the upside, I have managed to do some things towards getting this setting a little further along the road to completion.
One of those things was to write a little on the Theme of adventures in the StarSea. I have an outline of things I want to cover in a program called OmniOutliner that came free with my older Mac laptop. I had thought to include the Theme and Mood options a couple of months ago, and a couple of weeks ago, after my last post, I was tinkering with the outline and decided to write about the Theme. I got something I’m not 100% happy with, but I got close enough. I’ll probably tinker with it more down the road, but for now it’s a good enough beacon.
Speaking of beacons, yesterday I did some work on the way worlds have been manipulated. That is, I’ve figured out how I want to do the rings. Last time, I posted some links to images that I liked from a game called Conquest: The Frontier Wars. While I do like those images, I started realizing that having rings or bands around the worlds was just not working out for me, and was going to create a mountain of mapping. But something struck me about how I could resolve the issue, that came from some reading I’d done on Wikipedia.
I had clicked on a link about the naming of the moons of Pluto, and one of the links eventually led me to the entry on the Demiurge. In some of the definitions, the Demiurge was, more or less, defined as the maintainer of Creation. That’s what I’ve seen as the job of the ring giants, a race I’ve seen as having been created by the Ür. While this is all a bit off track, it did sort of pop into my mind as I was re-reading some of my handwritten notes.
What I’ve settled on as a compromise is that the “demiurge” giants live on structures that have been placed around the suns, moons and beacon stars, and those satellites simply orbit the worlds all in the same plane of the ecliptic. The beacons will be color-coded so that I can create “codes” for navigation purposes. A StarSea ship can either follow the beacons and fly relatively safely, or navigate their own path and take their chances with pirates and other dangers.
As well, I did some sketch work on the giants and a potential enemy race. I’m happy with the enemy race, but the giants are a bit of a problem. The images I came up with are a bit too uninspired for what I want. Back to the drawing board, literally.
I think that’s more than enough for tonight. I’ll need to figure out something for Tuesday night now… 🙂