Posted by docryder
The day after the last post was spent in the hospital, getting Mom’s transfusion. The day was pretty much wasted for any productivity. And apparently, I picked up something, as by the end of the week, I was sick. Last Sunday I spent making regular trips to the toilet between aches and pains, fever and chills. But by the time I got called to work Monday, I was feeling better and agreed to work. That was a mistake, as once I got off work, I spent the evening going to the bathroom in one night as much as I did all day Sunday. I continued to be sick until Wednesday morning, when things finally stabilized.
Feeling yucky, I did damned little with my week. By Thursday though, I’d managed to get some ideas down for new rules for armor, and to start a “playtest.”
The first idea was to simply eliminate the damage mitigation of armor. That’s simple and keeps to the original rules of Adventurers! I’m not really enthusiastic about this rule, as it’s basically D&D (armor preventing hits, as opposed to preventing damage), but this rules change allowed me to simply use my records of the original playtesting I’d done to test the idea. I simply ran the numbers a second time, without the armor saves. However, it made the greatsword power to reduce the target’s armor save (a power which seems to be common to all of the greatweapons) pretty useless, which I don’t consider a Bad Thing. I might run the numbers again with the greatweapon power reducing defense, but I haven’t decided for certain yet.
My initial impulse after writing these rules was that while it’s simple and actually works within the system, it just doesn’t feel right. Probably because in my mind, I’d rather have armor working as it does in reality, acting to prevent damage (“rhino-hiding” as it’s called in the SCA). Armor as hit prevention rankles me.
The other ideas I have are for an Apocalypse World style die-roll system (which is the basis of Dungeon World), but as I worked on it, I came to the conclusion that there would be additional systems I’d need. I’d have to start making decisions on how much damage weapons would generate, as well as how combat works in different situations, etc. I was starting to feel rules creep, I realize now. Again, it doesn’t feel right. A vague term, I know, but really the only way to describe how my mind is assessing the idea.
My last idea is based on the Cypher System, a series of games I’ve mentioned I really want to like, but can’t bring myself to like. The idea is dangers have a difficulty, and that determines the danger’s defense, attack, hit points, etc. Everything the danger does is a difficulty for the PCs to beat with dice rolls. That is essentially how DW works as well, so it’s a direction I kinda wanted to go anyway.
I realized as I built this rule that I’ll want to change skill resolution (which I’d originally written as DW-style), but I’m okay with that. While having a different resolution system for every aspect of the game is very D&D 1e, it’s definitely not the direction I want to go with my rules. I want a more standardized, unified set of systems.
I need to playtest the Cypher-style rules, and I’ll probably need to come up with a chart or something listing difficulties and what they mean. This was something I realized about both A! and DW: Both rely on bestiaries rather than give the DM rules for creating threats. On that level, they’re pretty opaque.
That’s pretty much all I have for now. I won’t be posting next week, as I’ll be taking a trip to the coast to see a reconstruction of one of the Spanish tall ships as it tours the Southern Coast of California.